With the more than 60,000 preventable deaths per year due to opioids in this country, the acupuncture and Oriental medicine (AOM) profession needs to work together to get the necessary visibility of providing acupuncture solutions to the crisis. An easy way to elevate acupuncture to the status it deserves for pain and other health conditions is the upcoming Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine Day (AOM Day).
AOM Day, which is celebrated on October 24 across the globe, is an excellent vehicle to bring to light all the benefits of acupuncture and Oriental medicine, especially as we focus the spotlight on acupuncture services to combat addiction and pain. This year, the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM) will be spreading the word about AOM Day through a variety of media outlets throughout the country by sending out a nationwide press release promoting AOM Day events. Modern Acupuncture will also be joining public relations efforts to promote AOM Day by celebrating this day and holding events through its centers nationwide.
This year has already been a milestone year for achievements including advancements in our profession, such as inclusion of NCCAOM National Board-Certified Acupuncturists, who are also state licensed in the Veterans Administration health system, as well as acupuncturists being included in the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics list of professions.
The NCCAOM cannot promote or advocate AOM Day without licensed acupuncturists and other AOM supporters, so we need your information about your AOM Day celebration. These celebratory activities can be events to celebrate AOM Day, patient testimonials to support acupuncture benefits or articles submitted to us to highlighting acupuncture services. The AOM Day website (www.aomday.org), sponsored by the NCCAOM, is ready for your AOM Day event postings so start planning today on how to bring AOM awareness to your community.
The “Get Involved” page that serves as a resource page, allows practitioners to take advantage of the various free marketing tools to advertise AOM Day as well as their practice. These include free marketing tools prepared by ASA and Acupuncture Media Works to help practitioners raise public awareness regarding the progress, promise and benefits of acupuncture and Oriental medicine. There are also examples of sample press releases and proclamations to promote your practice and AOM in your local communities and with your local news markets. This year, we are also pleased to feature a one-page toolkit from ASA to help acupuncturists with their practice with a focus on interprofessional communications.
The “Patient Testimonials” page can be a unique opportunity to promote both the AOM profession as a whole and your individual practice. Patient testimonials are one of the most powerful methods to promote AOM as it illustrates the effectiveness of this medicine directly from those who have benefited from it.
We have not shortage of ways to promote your national credentials and share information about this wonderful medicine with those who have not had the chance to experience the healing benefits of acupuncture and Oriental medicine. Here are some examples of ways for you to promote your practice and the AOM profession on AOM Day:
- Those who visit the AOM Day site may still conveniently search by state to find AOM Day celebrations and activities in their area on “Programs and Events” page.
- All events submitted through the main directory on the AOM Day website will also receive additional exposure via the AOM Day Facebook page.
- Link the AOM Day website (http://www.aomday.org/) and Facebook page to your website.
- Register your activities on the AOM Day website’s “Submit an Event” page to promote your event.
- Hold an Open House or a free clinic day in your community where you demonstrate acupuncture, Asian bodywork or Chinese herbal treatments free of charge or at a discounted rate.
- Publicize your event for free on local radio stations and newspapers as a community event. Use the handy toolkit from ASA and Acupuncture Media Works to promote your practice and acupuncture.
- Send out a press release or a media advisory (a one-page document that gives the when, where, who and what for your event) to the local media. Offer to treat the members of the press for free for stress relief with acupuncture or ABT treatment.
- Collaborate with a local AOM school to have an AOM awareness workshop on acupuncture, Chinese herbology or Asian Bodywork Therapy. Offer free treatments to those in attendance that are interested in participating. If no schools are in your area, offer the class at your clinic or another location.
- Write an article for your local community newspaper or magazine praising the many benefits of acupuncture and Oriental medicine. Use personal stories and experiences (with the written consent of your patients) to explain the efficacy behind the medicine.
- Encourage patients, who want to share success stories, to submit their testimonial on the AOM Day website’s “Submit a Testimony” page.
For additional information and marketing tips for AOM Day, contact Olga Cox at [email protected]. We look forward to working with our organizational partners to another successful AOM Day celebration. Please visit the AOM Day website for additional information and resources.